Prairie Fire - Week 3 (Sept. 16-20)

DAY 1

BIBLE:
Scripture verse review and doctrine of salvation hand book and review question.
JOHN 3:16 is the passage that we are memorizing along with the doctrine of salvation.

READING:
Liam worked through a Level 1 Bob Reader.
(These are SO not my favourite. The world of readers out there is hurting!)

READ-A-LOUD:
Prairie Fire



A prairie baby I am; as one, I thought I would love this book but something about the reality of tougher times gave me a cold feeling as a read. The book left me feeling sad. Sad, yet thankful that the pioneering hardships of starting life in Canada as a new country had been left to my Great Grand Father Stephen Nesdoly and not to me! This book blew through my former romantic ideals of homestead life. Sometimes life is just ... HARD! Boys grow up fast. Boys become men..., which is maybe why my boys loved this book so much and asked for i to be read each day in the week following. 

Day 2

BIBLE:
Read Daniel and the Lions Den storybook from the Library.

READ-A-LOUD:
We repeated reading Prairie Fire again this morning. 

LANGUAGE ARTS / CAPP: Journalling - Growing UP
The boys each journalled one thing that they would like to do when they grow up that DADDY can teach them.

Liam chose - 'drive an excavator'. Our Daddy drove a small excavator for a few weeks this summer while digging trenches for new electrical runs on a ranch. It was the highlight of Daddy's electrical career. Men and machines. The boys have fixated on this as one of the 'coolest' things about their Dad.

Printing practice: Liam copied some of his journal sentence out himself.

The boys worked so methodically on this exercise that it took quite a bit of time.

MATH: Liam did a set of #1 worksheets both counting, then printing the number 1 and word one. 

Day 3 

HEALTH AND SAFETY: We talked about fire prevention, how fires start, what to do if we see a fire an ways to safely put out a fire.

911 : We introduced the concept of 9-1-1 and talked about when to use it and how to dial it. The boys kept bringing up - Why couldn't we just tell you, Mom and YOU dial 911. So we talked about ... what if something happened and Mommy was sick or couldn't breathe. That they need to start to learn how to react in an emergency.

Fire escape: We talked about how smoke rises and the safest way to move out of the house when there is smoke in it is low to the ground.

Day 4

Oh the plans I had! I had a great day of school and activities planned with my kids and nieces and nephews but instead I spent the day taking care of my brother and sister-in-laws precious sickies. It was a hard day for our family, hard news.

AWANA - was a miss this week :(

Day 5

Recovering from the previous day and the 'plague' not having yet fully consumed my own kids, we managed to do some exercises.

BIBLE: 
We read the book Armor of God.


MATH:
Measuring objects. In Prairie Fire Dad creates a fire guard 20 yards across. We talked about units of measurement. Liam picked several objects to measure and had to identify the difference between width and length of each object that he measured. 

PRINTING PRACTICE:
We did several pages out of the orange book Hand Writing Without Tears practicing the letters both printed and then building them with blocks.

WEEK IN REVIEW:

STRUGGLES: Oh this week could have been a total bust.  I  think the honeymoon stage is wearing off and keeping attention for any longer than an hour was a HUGE challenge. As a result we just didn't get through even half of what I wanted. This wasn't the most inspiring week in CSBM. 

VICTORIES and GRACE MOMENTS: 
I love my nieces and nephews like my own kids and there is nothing like caring for someone else's kids and then your own to really test that in heart.  In my journey the last few years I have learned that it's in trials that you really see the stuff that you are made of, you see what friendships make it through fire and you find out if you are the kind of friend that really sticks closer than a brother that can make it through the messy mire WITH someone. Not many people will walk with another family fully through fire. But it was on this day that these words {Breathe in: Lord I Receive; Breathe out: Lord, I give thanks} were singing in my soul. God help us walk where You walk WITH people. Help us to really pray for people when we say we will and not look only to our own interests but also to interests of others. 


Comments

  1. I will. Let's look at them when next bit of funding comes out. Usbourne readers are great but they advance quickly. Bob - BORING (well to me anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts