ECEC 203: Improving Personal Practice - Reflection on the Pedagogy of Listening


Improving Personal Practice: Reflection on the Pedagogy of Listening

In reading and studying this week on the importance of play and the rights of the child, I have been really challenged to look deeply at my role in this process. As well as a worker within the early childcare setting, I find it’s really easy to go to work and put on my professional ‘hat’ and participate more fully in what is going on around me. At work, I engage in play with children, conversations with children, and observing children. But what do these practices look like in my day-to-day life? Are they embodied in who I am? How can I become more present and available: to listen, observe, and learn collaboratively with the child? I want to become more engaged not just with children in an early childcare education setting, but also the children in my home that I live with every day?

I decided to undergo an experiment. The framework of my experiment involved limiting my behaviour in the following ways for one full day.

-        Today I would refrain from distraction in the presence of children. There would be no computer, no tasks, just observation, participation and conversation

-        I would refrain from direction and instruction and instead practice active listening

-        I would ask more questions than statements

-        I would allow as much play as wanted and participate in play when invited

-        I would attempt to stay present in the moment and take mental notes, a few snap shots on my phone, and record when necessary, using a pen and paper.

-        I would praise and reward less. While encouraging and participating more.

-        I would avoid my own work and, if I needed to complete a task, I would excuse myself, complete the task in the office and return to be fully present as quickly as possible.

Why I Chose these Controls for the experiment:

Listening, does not mean my absence from the conversation and observation does not mean my absence from the activity. We know that listening is important but I think educators, parents and adults can easily slip into the teaching mindset. Of course as SECD (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.) states, “parents are children’s first teachers” (Guiding and Teaching, n.d., para.1). Clinton’s thoughts in the Image of the Child raised this question for me: If I were to observe myself, what kind of teacher would I describe myself as? Do I see my role as the one who writes on the empty slate or fills the vessel or do I see children as collaborators in a shared learning experience (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.)?

Vygotsky revolutionized childhood development theory with his idea that children were not simply blank slates to be written on but where contributors to the process. Vygotsky’s concept of the zone of proximal development hinged on 3 key components (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.):

1.) Children have something to bring to the table and must be active participants in their learning with ideas to contribute. There is a low level of achievement and learning that children can and will do entirely on their own through their own observation, play, and manipulation of things in their environment (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.).

2.) Adults and educators can elevate the learning by helping the child. It is the role of the teacher to guide through careful preparation of the environment, guiding conversation, and extending the activity (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.).

3.) More can be achieved together. The zone of proximal development is realized when the gap between what the child can do on their own and what the child can do with a guiding and caring adult is closed and the space between these to achievements is the zone of proximal development. Within this zone both the child and the adult share a learning experience and both benefit (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.).

In an effort to practice this theory, my role in the experiment could not be observation alone, but needed to involve careful and restrained participation and conversation in order to allow my children to contribute to the experience. Conversation would be a necessary and key component. During the experiment, I wanted to focus on acknowledging the importance of things the children said while asking more meaningful questions and listening to their thoughts and ideas. BC Early Learning Framework states that the goal of listening is not to produce answers to create meaningful questions (Government of BC, 2019). I wondered what the children and I would learn together if every question was up for grabs, able to be put on the table, all possibilities explored and considered. I wondered what we would learn together. Sir Collins points out the importance of conversation; that “the conversation itself is the learning” (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.). I was eager to explore what mutual learning could take place within a conversation. I knew that my own tendency was to provide answers or statements including, “I don’t know,” as a way to get away from uncomfortable feeling of not knowing the answer or not having time to engage. I wondered how many opportunities I was missing out on when I didn’t fully enter into conversation and share ideas with the children. It was 7 am and one of my children that needs help getting out of bed because of a disability was calling me. The day was beginning. I will follow up at the close of the day with my own reflection.

What I Discovered

Our day was not a magical unicorn day, but the tweaks within myself opened to door to some meaningful conversations between myself and my three younger daughters.



“Mom, great Grandma made my blanket. What did Great Grandma look like?”




“Where do we go when we die?”


“What would happen if there were no grocery stores?”


“Mom what does ½ mean in this recipe?”

These are just a few snapshots of my day engaging in the experiment. They are normal moments made extraordinary through the pedagogy of listening (Government of BC, 2019). I refrained from providing quick answers to any of these questions. Rather I asked questions back. I listened and the conversation went on and grew into learning. Their thoughts added to mine and I found myself thinking about Grandmother’s, grocery stores and community infrastructure, fractions, and living math. My mind was growing along with theirs.

Rhizomes Everywhere

BC Early Learning framework offers four essential components of emerging pedagogical framework, “Pedagogy of listening, critical reflection, collaborative dialogue, and pedagogical narration” (Government of BC, 2019, p. 47). Rhizomes are a complex and interconnected root system that support some plants including ferns (Rhizomes: Definition & Examples, 2016). The sprawling and branching root system is intricate and expansive when fully unveiled under the surface; but is not made plain by looking only at the simple fern above (Rhizomes: Definition & Examples, 2016). So much is going on under the surface. Old and young are connected in this root system that branches horizontally much like the conversation and mutual respect that occurs between children, adults, and educators in their lives. This root system also causes the plant system to be more resilient and withstand harsh climates and long winters (Rhizomes: Definition & Examples, 2016). This speaks to the speaks to the strength and longevity of growth that happens when we carefully construct learning framework through these four areas.

Making Room for Ideas

Educators need to make room for the conversations with children, families, and cultures. Pedagogical listening makes room for the ideas of children, the story of families, and the stories of culture. Clinton (n.d.) tells us, when educators ask questions with a narrow answer in mind and praise correct answers, they limit the child’s creatively and set the bar for ideas so much lower than what can be achieved through conversing back and forth, stacking and building on ideas as we carry a conversation forward (Guiding and Teaching, n.d.). We need to make room for families to be involved in the process and work to listen to their story. What do they love about their child, what do they struggle with, what are their hopes and goals for their child and how do they want to be supported? Finally, making room for culture. Children need to feel connected to their culture and their roots. For Indigenous Children, connection to the land, knowledge of ancestral traditions, and specific views of the larger family unit and roles within the family are important things to stay connected to as they grown (Gerlach et al., 2008). All children benefit from traditional ways of knowing through connection and care for natural environments. There is so much room for educators to grow within themselves and grow the conversation.

Reflection

How can you tweak your conversational approach with children?

What is one story that you have gleaned from a family of a child you work with helped you become a better educator?

How can you become more in touch with culture and customs of families in your care or Indigenous Peoples?

 

 

 

 

 

References

 

Government of British Columbia. (2019). British Columbia early learning framework. Victoria, BC: Crown Publications, Queen’s Printer for British Columbia.

Jamieson, J., Bertrand, J., Koshyk, J. & Elfenbaum, M. (Eds.). (n.d.). The science of early child development (North American ed.). [Online resource]. Winnipeg, MB: Red River College. Retrieved from http://www.bc.scienceofecd.com/

Rhizomes: Definition & Examples. (2016, January 14). Retrieved from https://study.com/academy/lesson/rhizomes-definition-examples-quiz.html.

Gerlach, A., Smith, M. G., & Schneider, J. (2008). Creating pathways for the dreams of our children ~ Aboriginal early childhood development and care. https://www.afn.ca/uploads/files/education2/creating_pathways-aboriginal_early_years,_little_drum_consulting,_2009.pdf


Comments

Popular Posts